Institutional Quality Assurance Cell (IQAC) of the European University of Bangladesh:
With the advancement of science and technology the social scientists and political economists have come to a consensus that we are living in a global village; we can’t be separated from worldwide practices. In respect of higher education, we are more concerned to uphold and maintain the quality of education with our surroundings and to maintain the fundamentals of education. In order to maintain the quality in higher education, Ministry of Education as well as Bangladesh University Grants Commission have taken several steps, such as, constitution of Institutional Quality Assurance Cell (IQAC) in each university including private university of Bangladesh.
To ensure quality and standard in higher education, European University of Bangladesh (EUB) launched Internal Quality Assurance Section with effect from 22 January 2016. Internal Quality Assurance Section is also known as Faculty Development and Evaluation (FDE) Section at EUB. Since its inceptions this section has been functioning to monitor, evaluate and ensure Quality Education and continuous improvement in the entire operations of the University through monitoring and evaluation. Faculty Development and Evaluation section has been working on regular basis. It submits Quality Assurance Report to the Vice Chancellor.
In response to the letter of UGC, Institutional Quality Assurance Cell (IQAC) is constituted in European University of Bangladesh to assure and enhance academic quality of higher education. It is to be mentioned that Institutional Quality Assurance Cell is constituted under the University organogram.
Objectives of the Institutional Quality Assurance Cell (IQAC):
The specific objectives of the Institutional Quality Assurance Cell (IQAC) are:
- to ensure continuous improvement upon the entire operations of the University in general and quality of teaching in particular
- to institutionalize the system of quality assurance of the university
- to ensure connectivity of stakeholders such as parents, teachers, students, staff / employers, funding agencies and society with higher education.
Roles of Institutional Quality Assurance Cell (IQAC) are:
The Institutional Quality Assurance Cell (IQAC) is an integral part of the administrative set up of the university. In keeping with the changing needs of faculty members and the imperative to cope with the trends and demands of education in general and faculty in particular, the Cell is continuously undertaking necessary time–demand relevant steps such as:
- to prepare & design programs and place before the authority for approval
- to create environment for learning and teaching
- assessment of students performance,
- monitoring and review students activities
- review the performance of teachers
- address academic complaints and appeals of students.
The functions of Institutional Quality Assurance Cell (IQAC) are briefly described below:
- Functions related to evaluation of teachers:
- Evaluation of each teacher (Twice in a semester: Before Midterm & before Final term).
- Department-wise review meeting.
- Post-Review Action Plan.
- Training related functions:
- Orientation Programme (immediately after recruitment) for newly recruited teachers.
- Training on exam related issues.
- Training on Role of teachers, Learning, Methods, and TeachingMedia etc.
- Training on skill development for teachers and staffs
- Need based training for teachers and staffs
- Training on specific issues:
- Role of teacher in exam.
- Role of teacher in classroom.
- Service Rules.
- Workshop and Seminars on other issues.
- Organizing various need-based events of the university on various occasion:
Organization of various events frequently held in the university, such as, Math Olympiad, Business Buzz, ICT Carnival I & II, Career Counseling Centre, Winter Cloth Distribution, Bangladesh Development Fair, EUB Techno vision etc. These events are generally organized by Institutional Quality Assurance Cell (IQAC) which are very much inspiring events.
Strategies of Institutional Quality Assurance Cell (IQAC):
- Ensuring timely, efficient and progressive performance of academic tasks
- Operate relevant academic research to improve quality of education
- Optimization and integration of modern methods of teaching and learning
- Ensuring the adequacy, maintenance and functioning of the support structure and services
- Research platform creation and sharing and networking with other institutions in Bangladesh and abroad.
Major Training/workshop organizes by Institutional Quality Assurance Cell (IQAC) of EUB:
- Transaction Analysis (TA) Training:
IQAC of EUB organizes TA Training Program to improve interpersonal relationship among students, teachers and other officers. By this training program faculties are benefited understanding interpersonal behavior.
- Office Assistant Training Program
IQAC arranges Office Assistant Training Program for changing behavior, manner, development of communication skill and awareness about jobs responsibilities of office assistant staff.
- Officers Skill Development
To develop work skill and communication skill of officers, IQAC frequently organizes training program for the officers of EUB.
- Job Satisfaction Survey
To ensure a good working environment in work station IQAC of EUB organizes job satisfaction survey among the officials.
To address key issues of quality of education and Faculty Members in EUB, IQAC coordinates the activities of Faculty Quality Assurance Committee (FQAC) and Program Self Assessment Committee (PSAC). All the quality assurance activities of European University of Bangladesh are monitored and supervised directly by honourable Vice Chancellor of EUB.